Creative Commercial Publisher - Penguin Random House
Monday 21 November 2022
North Shore, Auckland North
Applications closes on:
Wednesday 21 December 2022
This is an exceptional opportunity for an experienced, dynamic and creative commercial publisher or commissioning editor to join the award-winning team at Penguin Random House New Zealand to help us shape our list. In this senior role, reporting to the Head of Publishing and working closely alongside our children’s, fiction and non-fiction publishers, you will be responsible for building a successful and competitive non-fiction slate, commissioning a wide range of commercial titles across genres.
You will identify and develop ideas and concepts and work with authors to develop publishing plans, facilitating production in collaboration with our full-stack in-house team as well as freelance experts to ensure high quality writing, editing, imagery and design and successful delivery to market.
We are seeking energetic, collegial candidates with strong industry knowledge, contacts and relationships who are able to attract and retain consistently performing authors, professionally develop their books, and maintain high levels of author communication and care.
Your responsibilities will include:
• Working with the Head of Publishing and Publishing team colleagues to build a dynamic list, acquiring an agreed number of new, top-selling titles annually across the general nonfiction range that achieve annual sales and profit targets
• Nurturing new and existing talent and developing stable, long-standing relationships with authors and agents
• Originating and conceptualising ideas, soliciting and evaluating proposals and pitching new titles commissioned both internally and externally to get team buy-in and ensure the best sales results, locally and internationally.
• Drafting contracts and negotiating with authors and agents within agreed benchmarks and values
• Managing the production and publishing process for the books you acquire to ensure they are delivered on time and within budget
• Liaising with other Penguin Random House departments, local and international, to contribute to successful acquisitions and rights deals, and the successful sell-in and launch of all titles
• Identifying and presenting viable, profitable new opportunities for growth across backlist titles, authors, brands, formats, platforms and territories
Skills and experience:
• Previous experience (5+ years in a commissioning role in book publishing, or strongly equivalent experience)
• The proven ability to scout, commission, acquire and contract commercially successful books, showing regular and notable critical and commercial success and profitability in your work
• Outstanding relationship management and communication skills, including effective pitching and the ability to persuade others to support your ideas
• Strong commercial understanding of the New Zealand and international book industry
• Knowledge of the book production process including a high level of English language literacy, structural and line editing, scheduling, copy-writing, and experience commissioning writing, photography and design work
• The ability to manage projects independently, on time and to budget
• Some experience working with Māori authors, concepts or publications in te reo Māori is desirable
If this role sounds like you then please submit your application including a cover letter outlining your suitability for the role. Due to the high volume of applications only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Penguin Random House is the world’s largest trade book publisher, boasting an impressive list of authors from cherished favourites to future classics across many genres and platforms. In Australia and New Zealand, we are proud to work with the most talented writers, thinkers and achievers and publish a diverse range of local and international voices. We are the leading publisher distributing books across Australia and New Zealand, focusing on speed and reliability to reach our customers and bring the very best books to readers everywhere. Our 400+ creative and passionate people from various backgrounds and experiences work together to uphold our reputation for excellence and clear commitment to service throughout the entire publishing process, and help us to achieve exceptional results. More information can be found at https://www.penguin.com.au/ and https://www.penguin.co.nz/.
Penguin Random House is committed to providing a workplace and culture that values diversity and inclusion across all levels of the business. We recognise and acknowledge the contribution of people with diverse backgrounds, experiences and perspectives. This includes, however is not limited to, differences in gender, age, disability, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, family status and disability.
Company: Penguin Random House New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Postal Code: 0622
Job ID: 250591
Date: Nov 10, 2022
Location: Takapuna, AUK, NZ, 0622